Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What diseases do raccoons carry (and pass)?

I am fostering 3 raccons and have some cats and a dog. They do not and have not come into contact with the raccoons.





What possible diseases, worms, etc. can be passed to my pets and how and how can I prevent it from passing to my pets?What diseases do raccoons carry (and pass)?
Rabies and also the larvae of the Baylisascaris procyonis roundworm, which can be contained in the feces and seldom of a racoon causes a severe illness in humans, and it can be ingested when cleaning raccoon latrines without wearing breathing protection.What diseases do raccoons carry (and pass)?
Rabies is the most common. And, if you are not very careful about what you touch, you can pass it to your other animals yourself. When I raised raccoons I always wore gloves on my hands, and washed them anyway. But, raccoons are notorious for carrying rabies so be very careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment