Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How to repel raccoons and armadillos from cat food for outdoor cat?

Try setting up a motion activated light and place the food in the light. These creatures are mostly nocturnal and the light should scare them off. If not then either feed your cat indoors or put enough out for all to eat! ;-}How to repel raccoons and armadillos from cat food for outdoor cat?
Set a remote control car out there %26amp; scare them with it when they approach. Then, if you leave it out there, they'll be reluctant to return. That's been my experience, at least.How to repel raccoons and armadillos from cat food for outdoor cat?
Good luck, I've been trying to keep the wildlife out of the cat food for years. The possums don't take much, but the squirrels and raccoons clean it out.





I'm only leaving dry food out, to avoid drawing skunks or worse, and there's not much I can do about the squirrels except hope the hawks get them (I'm in the middle of the city), but the raccoons are awful, getting into the garbage cans even with the locking lids. I imagine armadillos are just as bad but they haven't come any further north than lower Illinois and I'm north of that.





I would go out and and physically scare the raccoons off if I heard them banging the metal dishes, but once they started NOT running till you were 4' away that changed things. We had a family move in next door with a learning disabled boy who's physically age 14 yet is on a mental level of 4 or 5, and I could just see him running up to one yelling 'KITTY!'; The raccoons at that point were aggressive to the local ferals so much that the cats would wait 60' away for the coon to leave the food bowl.





In the interest of making sure the neighbor kid didn't get bitten or the cats get savaged, I started putting out my live trap after the spring babies were big enough to not have to worry about milk feeding, and started catching the raccoons nightly. 18 in one summer season. 9 last year during summer/fall. They weren't hurt, I transported them 6 miles straight west to the river and beginning of farm country, where the woods closes in on the running water, and released them there. You have to take them more than 4 miles or they return. I stopped in end of September, so they'd all have time to re-establish home grounds and didn't worry about them. They could go south into the park system, north to the fast food places, west to the farm country or east back into residential, but I knew they'd stick with the trees and brush area.





Garbage fed city raccoons can get over 20 pounds, they fight dangerously too and will kill kittens as a food source, but I was mostly concerned about the kids in the neighborhood--our raccoons would be out before the sun was down, running down the sidewalk. There's still some around, but they stay north of here at the park mostly, we don't get the explorers pushing through our area much.
Stop feeding the cat outside
Perhaps you could place the food up in a cat-accessible high place?
you could try a scarecrow!
lots of ways, does it have to still be appealing to the cat?

No comments:

Post a Comment