Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Trying to catch a raccoon. need help?

im trying to catch a raccoon in my cage traps but i keep on catching opossums. i know there's coons in my area because i see a lot of prints a scat on my land. is there any special ways to avoid opossums and attract coons??


-Thank youTrying to catch a raccoon. need help?
Raccoons will eat almost anything, so baiting them into a trap is not usually difficult to do. The easiest thing to use to bait a raccoon trap is dry cat food that contains seafood.Trying to catch a raccoon. need help?
What makes you think you have coons? Especially if your catching opossums? their tracks and crap look alot alike...they eat about the same stuff. I use corn to feed my deer herd..I see ALOT of coons eating along with deer on my trail cams..as a matter of fact sometimes I think I'm feeding the coons rather than the deer! IF you really want to attract the coons..mix some maple syrup with corn..dump it in a pile and go out that evening toward dusk with a good flashlight. When trying to catch em in a live trap..simply put some maple syrup in a cup with a bit of corn in the middle of the trap..that's your best bet.


Good Luck...their smart!
You have to go through the local possums first, sometimes. The bait you use will play a factor in what you catch as well. Any meat based bait will catch possums and cats as well as raccoons. The best bait for raccoons is marshmallows. They love them. I rarely catch possums with marshmallows, but it can happen. Toss out several marshmallows around the trap entrance then throw the rest into the trap. Should work.
You are probably going to have to catch all of the possums first. You aren't turning them loose when you catch them, are you? I find sardines in water or oil is a good bait for coons.
Get rid of the possums first. Bait with fish or raw meat or a small animal cut open. Move your trap to the coon trails.
I've alway heard that eggs help keep cats out of coon traps. the cat wont go after the eggs. Dont know if it would help with opossums though
Use vegetables as bait. Coons love them, and possums won't go out of their way to find them.
sit on your porch with a shotgun and a spotlight until you see it i think the rest is self explanatory

No comments:

Post a Comment